- Phylliserck.net -> Class -> Winter 2014 -> Class 3 (Password: instructor)
- The Dashboard (pages, posts, categories, widgets)
- Update User Profile and Gravatar
- Manage Menu
Classmate WordPress.com sites
Post a comment to this post with your url:
Look at the themes that students are using to see what type of configuration options they offer.
Look at how the widget areas change from theme to theme.
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
The core of what defines the design in a Theme. User can edit to fine tune. Changes will be over written when theme is updated. Need to create a child theme. See the advanced WordPress class for how to do this.
To customize your Dashboard with additional features such as the “Discussion” settings to allow the disabling of Comments.
Lab time to answer individual questions about sites so far.
- create site
- export content from a wordpress site
- import content into a wordpress site
- activate themes
- configure themes
Jetpack by WordPress – adds powerful features previously only available to WordPress.com users including customization, traffic, mobile, content, and performance tools.
Choosing your web address/Domain Name
Domain Registration – approx $10/yr; Hosting approx $75/yr
Requires database and PHP – choose a hosting vendor who provides quick install and managed wordpress hosting
I recommend GoDaddy Managed WordPress Hosting which includes:
- 1 free domain registration for a year
- Performance-enhancing caching
- Automatic updates through WordPress’ built-in functionality
- A plugin blacklist to make sure you don’t inadvertently install website-damaging plugins
- Enhanced security through restricting file access (more info)
- The latest version of WordPress automatically installed in the root directory
- sFTP and phpMyAdmin access (more info)
- 30-day storage of automatic backups (more info)
- for $12 for the 1st year; $78/yr after the 1st year
For other hosting recommendations visit Wordpres.org
Working on your new sites on phylliserck.net
- Purchase your domain name and hosting
- Continue to develop your Website content
- Add your social networking links to your site
- Upload a Youtube video to your Channel
- Upload images to your Facebook page and Instagram site
*Phylliserck.net is a multisite. For information on how to make your WP site into a multisite see my post on this topic.
In this session the student will learn to transfer content from WordPress.com sites to free hosted site on phylliserck.net and will begin to work with plugins.